The 18th birthday is an important milestone, one that usually marks the first time when an individual is legally allowed to make his or her own decisions. But sometimes even adults need guidance when making important medical or financial decisions, particularly adults with intellectual or developmental disabilities.
Sometimes there are no parents or friends in an individual’s life who are willing to take on that responsibility – or worse, sometimes those very people will use the relationship to take advantage of adults with disabilities. That’s where ADEC’s corporate guardianship program – which has been protecting adults with disabilities in northern Indiana for more than 30 years now — comes in. ADEC currently serves more than 60 adults by helping with personal decisions, advocating for them and protecting them.
WHAT WE DO
• Visit client a minimum of twice a month
• Remain on-call 24/7
• Ensure services are delivered as indicated by client plan
• Attend all client meetings
• Attend medical appointments
• Advocate for medical concerns, issues, and treatments
• Review medical records, goals, and behavior data
• Monitor finances
• Write reports to the court
• Ensure clients are free from abuse, neglect, and exploitation
• End of life decisions
• Many other responsibilities
Are you interested in referring a client to ADEC’s guardianship program? Fill out the referral form and we will get in touch with you.